Bringing art and science together.
DOCSUR Scientific Cinema is a collaborative project between Ventana Sur and Argentina’s National Council for Scientific and Technological Research (CONICET, by its Spanish acronym), the main national institution for the promotion of science and technological knowledge in the country. DOCSUR is now opening a special call for in-development documentary projects about research topics in any scientific field or science-based research.
Under the Department of Institutional Affairs, CONICET Documental is the audiovisual production agency making documentaries about science, whose main objectives are both entertaining and awaking scientific vocations in its audiences.
The current call is intended for Argentine projects or co-production projects between or among Argentina and other Latin American countries, with the goal of promoting Scientific Cinema. Five in-development projects will be previously selected, and one of them will be chosen for the award.
· Only feature length documentary films of Argentine production or in co-production between or among Argentina and other Latin American countries are eligible for registration.
· Registered projects must be in the stages of development or pre-production.
HOW TO REGISTER YOUR PROJECT?
· Registration is free of charge and open to the public.
· In order to participate, applicants must fill the form presented below before September 9th, 2022.
ABOUT THE PRE-SELECTION OF PROJECTS:
I. In the case that a project is pre-selected, applicants must meet the following conditions:
– Not withdrawing the project from DOCSUR / Ventana Sur
– Accepting the project’s data and contact information being published in Ventana Sur’s catalog and wherever the organizing committee considers it necessary.
– Committing to participate in person in the event if the organizing committee requires it.
– Committing to hand in, within the time-frame established by the organizing committee, the following materials:
- Video-pitch through VIMEO link, complying with all the technical specifications established by the organizing committee. It should not be longer than five minutes, with English subtitles burnt into the image (not through an enabling system), with no black screen at the beginning or end of the video, and with no time count.
- Link with sample from the documentary (optional).
- Filmmakers and/or Producers’ photographs (portrait format, 300 dpi in JPG).
- Project’s representing image (landscape format, 300 dpi in JPG), which must count with its copyright ownership.
- Information required for the catalog and other requested items.
- Filled Sales Information Form, including short synopsis, production data, estimated total budget amount in US dollars, confirmed financial contributions, awards, etc.
II. The selected project should have a representative (Director/Producer) present at the Market, who is going to receive a courtesy accreditation to attend Ventana Sur.
III. A CONICET committee will chose among the pre-selected participants the project that will receive the award.
IV. ABOUT THE AWARD:
a) Four domestic round-trip Aerolineas Argentinas’ plane tickets for trips that should be made before November 2023.
b) Seven day-long sessions of color correction for online image post-production on the film’s final cut, which should be completed before December of 20223.
c) Content contribution by experts on the documentary’s topic, approximation interviews, information gathering, etc., amounting to the equivalent of forty labor-hours.
V. The award’s beneficiaries commit themselves to mention DOCSUR and CONICET Documental in the documentary’s opening credits, in whatever order the filmmaker considers best, after the legend “With the support of…”; mentioning also these institutions in all of the film’s graphic marketing materials. The award’s beneficiaries must also commit themselves to keep DOCSUR and CONICET updated regarding the distribution of the finished documentary.