A space for the Ibero-American short film exhibited/projected to the world.
Call and regulations for the first edition
Place and date
Ventana Sur, the most important market for audiovisual content in Latin America, carried out by INCAA (Instituto Nacional de Cine y Artes Audiovisuales) and by the Marché du Film of the Cannes Festival, presents the section/category: SHOW SHORTS , an exclusive space for the Ibero-American short film, that in collaboration with Shorts México, is created to globally disseminate, reward and promote the talent of Ibero-American filmmakers in this format. The event will take place in the City of Buenos Aires, Argentina from November 27 to December 1, 2023.
SHOW SHORTS summons Ibero-American filmmakers to register their cinematographic works, with the aim of recognizing, promoting, and exhibiting those selected in the City of Buenos Aires, Argentina within the framework of Ventana Sur.
SHOW SHORTS is a space dedicated to short film professionals in Ibero-America, where panels, master classes, exhibitions of the Official Selection, and meetings are going to be presented to reflect on the different visions of current cinema in Ibero-America and the world. The purpose of the section/category is to professionalize and promote quality filmmaking, co-production, and distribution of short films.
The Ibero-American short films that are selected will obtain accreditation for the Ventana Sur market.
A committee made up of film programmers will select the short films that will be part of the SHOW SHORTS programming and will participate in a competitive category.
- Registration is open to Ibero-American short films and productions from anywhere in the world in which the director of the work holds the nationality of an Ibero-American country.
- Registration for filmmakers and film productions from Argentina will be free of charge.
- The registration of one or more short films to this call constitutes the acceptance of these regulations. We invite you to register your films and be part of this space for Iberian-American filmmakers.
- Registrations can be made from September 8 to October 25, 2023, until 11:59 p.m. (CST).
- The Ibero-American short films selected to be part of the SHOW SHORTS competition will be part of the Official Selection at the nineteenth edition of Shorts México-International Short Film Festival of Mexico, recognized as the largest short film festival in Latin America.
- Registrations will be made online through the following platforms: Filmfreeway https://filmfreeway.com/SHORTSMEXICO
- Regardless of which registration stage is chosen (early or late), all registrations go through the same selection process. The difference between the registrations is the quota (fee). We invite you to register your short film as soon as possible so that you can take advantage of the opportunity at a lower cost.
Short films registered from September 8 to September 25, €25 (euros).
Short films registered from September 26 to October 25, €30 (euros).
- Registrations for Argentine filmmakers and film productions will be free of charge and should sent to the following email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines and Eligibility Criteria
- Ibero-American short films produced during 2022 and 2023 may participate.
- Short films with a maximum duration of 15 minutes will be selected and exhibited.
- Participants can register an unlimited number of works.
- The list of short films that will be part of the SHOW SHORTS Official Selection will be published on October 31, 2023, through social networks and the official page of Ventana Sur and Shorts México.
- Ibero-American short films will be accepted in the categories of fiction, animation, and documentary, recorded in digital format, mobile devices, and filmed in 35mm, 16mm, and 8mm.
- The short films must be presented with subtitles embedded in English, if their original language is Spanish, or if their original language is another, they must be presented with subtitles in Spanish.
- The selected Ibero-American short films must be finished productions and will be exhibited within the framework of Ventana Sur, all those selected will be given a certificate of participation.
- The technical aspects of the exhibition of the works will be sent to those selected.
- The registration of works to participate in this call implies the acceptance of its criteria and regulations. Once the short films have been registered, they cannot be withdrawn under any circumstances. The registration fee is non-refundable, regardless of the outcome of your application.
- In case of being selected, it is necessary to sign the exhibition authorization letter by the legal representative of the audiovisual work, the omission of this requirement will mean automatic disqualification. The owner of the short film accepts the exhibition of the film from November 27 to December 1, 2023, within the Ventana Sur framework.
- This call will have a single winner of the SHOW SHORTS competition.
- Cases not provided in this call will be resolved by the Organizing Committee.
Selection Committee and Juries
- The short films that make up the Official Selection of SHOW SHORTS and the one who wins this call, will be chosen by a committee and a jury, conformed by internationally renowned film professionals.
- The jury will be free to award the mentions it deems pertinent.
- The decision of the selection committee and the jury will be final.
- The winner of the SHOW SHORTS section/category will receive a statuette and a recognition diploma.
- The winner of the SHOW SHORTS section will automatically participate in a competitive category at the Shorts México festival, in its next edition, in Mexico City in September 2024.
- The Ibero-American short films selected in the SHOW SHORTS section will be part of the Official Selection at the nineteenth edition of Shorts México and will be screened in Mexico City in 2024.
- Because Shorts México is recognized by the Mexican Academy of Cinematographic Arts and Sciences (AMACC), in case that a Mexican short film becomes the winner of this call, due to the direct pass to participate in a competitive category of the festival, they may be considered for nomination at the AMACC Ariel award.
- The winner of the SHOW SHORTS section will receive a statuette and a recognition diploma.
About the regulation
The participants fully accept the bases of this call, as well as the resolutions determined by the SHOW SHORTS committee.
In case of any concerns or doubts regarding this call, please contact us by email: email@example.com